Thursday, August 11, 2011

When Life Rains on Your Parade Make Mud Pies!



James 1:12 AMP
12Blessed (happy, [a]to be envied) is the man who is patient under trial and stands up under temptation, for when he has stood the test and been approved, he will receive [the victor's] crown of life which God has promised to those who love Him.


The other day I was stuck in a big puddle of self pity and it seemed like life and worry was raining down hard on me. It was a day when I was working with the kids and it was raining out. I was so tired of the rain I brought the kids outside. The rain wasn't that bad anyway. The kids were enjoying making mud in the sandbox.

Anyone who knows me knows I have something called Seasonal Affective Disorder. When it rains it is very hard for me to not get sad or discouraged. Most of the time I get so depressed I do not like to get out of bed. However, children always seem to cheer me up and I'm always out the door for work. You could say that children bring sunshine to my rainy days. To think looking out a window in your life thinking those are some dark clouds when is the sun going to come out. Children have a way of having fun despite the dark clouds that linger above. They are ready for anything and always ready to make the best of any situation. A few of the kids were like we can't be outside it's raining. I was like it was a few raindrops and it wasn't down pouring... I spoke too soon because just then it began to rain harder. I asked the kids if they wanted to go inside and none of them did instead we spent a good hour in that rain making sand castles and mud pies.

So often we look at things in with an adult perspective... when will the sun come out? We forget that we can praise God in any storm we face... even if it isn't picture perfect weather. I love the song Bring the Rain by MercyMe. I have been waiting and waiting for a job and to be honest it hasn't been easy... I've been graduated since December just waiting to hear someone will keep me full time. I tried being a head teacher but that didn't quite work out and so I decided I'd start of smaller and a little more humble as a teacher in a Head Start program. Even I had doubt they would hire me and that day I posted Bring the Rain on my profile I was thinking of posting that song Praise You in This Storm. However, I wanted God to know I was okay with the rain also if that was what He wanted.

Trials teach us things they grow us in strength and perseverance. They also teach us to wait patiently on God. I wanted God to see that I can be happy in any situation and that when the rain comes I'm going to make MUD PIES!

Romans 8:17

17And if we are [His] children, then we are [His] heirs also: heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ [sharing His inheritance with Him]; only we must share His suffering if we are to share His glory.

No comments: