Monday, January 15, 2018

Sarcasm Chasm

Ephesians 4:15Amplified Bible (AMP)
15 But speaking the truth in love [in all things—both our speech and our lives expressing His truth], let us grow up in all things into Him [following His example] who is the Head—Christ.


So many times... I've opened my mouth and I've said things I've regretted.  Many times people need to remind me that I'm being sarcastic and rude.  The sad part is most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it. Most of the time I do it when I'm feeling like someone is up my neck or judging me.  I guess what I need to realize is how it makes people feel.  The words we speak the things we do are impacting the people around us... we need to realize when we speak we represent Christ.  People don't want a God who is sarcastic they want a God who is a God of love.

Do you know how sometimes you don't need to say anything? Sometimes our body language is enough to reveal how we are feeling about things?  It is REALLY hard for me to show up to work sometimes in a good mood.  Most days I go in I see that one student who is really a challenge for my patience and I think oh great... this is going to be a fun day. My attitude is displayed through my body language and sooner or later my boss picks up on it and tells me.  I'm like NO what do you mean?  then I realize what she's saying is true! I need to welcome every child into my classroom with love.  In my words, in my actions, and deep in my heart I have to get to the root of my bitterness to realize... these are the children I'm put here to serve with God's love.  This is my ministry... if I'm bitter, if I'm sarcastic, if I'm "not in the mood to deal with it" then what kind of a testimony am I giving?

This also impacts my relationships with others. So many times it is easiest to say to people you love ... nasty things.  Things that you don't think but you just say them because perhaps you didn't drink enough coffee in the morning... perhaps you are bitter at something else which causes you to lash out on people you love the most.  I'm not saying coffee keeps me from saying stupid things... I actually think coffee causes my motor mouth to run off more. I avoid caffeine. When we realize just about everything we say impacts people we realize how we can make our mark on the world.  God wants us to take our sarcasm and turn it around into love.  He wants us to model how God would talk to others.  We need to remember in our stressful moments that God is in control.  Not just of the situation but of our tongues.  We need to surrender fully to Him and allow Him to speak through us.

In this day, my challenge is to you to speak from love.  Watch the sarcasm chasm... do not get into that pit of despair. Speak words that will cause others to realize they are loved, cherished, and worthy.

No comments: