Monday, September 27, 2010

Idol or Instrument?


A while ago I was sitting in a sermon when the pastor started talking about this man who was very wealthy. Unlike most stereotypical rich people this man was very kind and well mannered. When a pastor asked this man what made his attitude toward his wealth so different he said, "I was always taught that either something can be an idol or an instrument". Recently I tried fooling myself into thinking that I was using a computer game that I was addicted to as an instrument to witness to people. Yes I was witnessing to people but it had become an idol in my life and made me completely unhappy with myself and my walk with God. I realized this and now I'm happy and back on the right path with God in my life. Are there things in your life that you "think" you are using as instruments, yet they are really idols? Remember that we have to keep focused on God's purpose for our lives. Without HIM we are nothing and we would have nothing. Everything we have or any gift we possess should be used for His glory. I pray today that we will be released from anything that will take over our passion for God and the real life that He gave us.

1 Cor. 10:31
31So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.

No comments: