Sunday, February 13, 2011

Be Mine Valentine



Psalm 18:31-32
31 For who is God besides the LORD?
And who is the Rock except our God?
32 It is God who arms me with strength
and keeps my way secure.

I was talking with my best friend as we were listening to the song Enough by Barlowgirl and she asked me if I could really say that God was more than enough for me. I had to think this one seriously over. I do not doubt that I have been so miserable when I've seen other couples around me and I was alone. I wanted God to be more than enough for me... but I always wanted to have someone else who I could share my love for Him with. My friend asked me if we are suppose to just be happy being alone with God and I told her that I don't think God expects it of us. Adam had Eve because God said it is not good for man to be alone. Jesus had the 12 disciples. I don't think God ever wants us to be completely alone with Him "all the time" but at the same time I believe we need to be able to have that "alone time" with God.

When I was in church today they sang a song about being secure in the arms of God and now I'm reading this scripture. I think immediately of the emotional abuse that I have experienced in the past and how every time I was hurt I always could cling to Him. God was my comforter and I "always" felt protected in His arms. I never felt condemned and I never felt like I couldn't just pour out my heart to Him. That is the one love we can not live without. We "need" God to be more than enough for every hurt and every need. We need Him to be our rock and our strong fortress.

So often I hear others say that Christians use Christ for a crutch and I even wrote a blog on that before. I am not ashamed to say that I lean wholeheartedly on Christ. I am not ashamed to say that He dries my tears and binds my wounds. He is my one true companion and always will be. He loves me without any conditions. I NEED HIM!

I am sure that being in a relationship is a good thing for anyone but honestly if God isn't your first love then ... it's not a healthy thing. Any relationship where you both don't respect and love God with "all" your heart first is bound for huge storms that you will barely get through. When you have God the storms are easier to survive because you have that rock to cling to. You need that faith that things will eventually come into a calming. So my advice to my best friend is; it is not easy being alone with God but you should rather be alone with God than alone with a man without God.

This Valentine's day my best friend has purposely announced that God is her Valentine. I hope that is true for all of us. Keep remembering that He is our first love the one who gave it all.

John 3:16-17
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

No comments: