Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Chameleon Conformity



Psalm 18:25-26 AMP

25With the kind and merciful You will show Yourself kind and merciful, with an upright man You will show Yourself upright, 26 With the pure You will show Yourself pure, and with the perverse You will show Yourself contrary.

Have you ever known a chameleon? Chameleons are the people who always change with the situation they are facing. Sometimes people act like the people they hang out with or do things they wouldn't normally do just to fit into a specific crowd.

When I lived on campus I began acting like the people I was hanging out with. I got pretty wild back then. Thank God He redirected me a few semesters after I started. I didn't quite ever feel like I fit in after that and I no longer felt the desire to live in that kind of environment. It was bad enough I had to attend classes several times a week with people who were almost exactly the opposite of me spiritually. There was nothing in me that wanted to be like those people because everything in me wanted to be like Christ. It wanted to be more like Christ so much that foolishly I would skip classes... to attend Campus Crusade for Christ events because I thought by being around people who love Christ I would start acting like Christ. However, there was more to it than that.


In order to be like Christ I needed to get to know Christ a lot more. I needed to know how He would react if He was faced with situations I have been faced with. I wanted to know how He reacted to certain things. In order to get to really know someone well enough to be intimate with them it's a really good idea to study them and get to know them more. That is what I discovered I needed to do about Christ. I took all the worldly teachings, conformist, and ways and put them to the side. Instead I started looking at my identity through Christ. Now looking at a billboard with certain worldly things on it makes me disgusted... I no longer laugh and make jokes about it. Now I take my spiritual walk seriously.

How about you? What do you act like when you are in the crowd? What identity do you have? Do you get disgusted with what disgusts Christ?

Romans 12:2
Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God's will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

No comments: