Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Lost on Love?



Psalm 18:49-50
49 Therefore I will praise you, LORD, among the nations;
I will sing the praises of your name.

50 He gives his king great victories;
he shows unfailing love to his anointed,
to David and to his descendants forever.

Do you know the one thing that was keeping me at one point in my life from fully surrendering to God? I had no idea what unfailing love was. I always felt that love had "conditions" if you weren't pretty no guy would love you if you weren't a follower the world would not love you. That was another thing! Why did I want to be loved by the world? I know that we are to love the world like God but I am sure sometimes love has to be one sided even if it hurts. God loves the world... and sent His only Son to die for their sins and still the whole world does not love Him back. In fact, there are some people who are resentful and bitter toward God.

I just find it fascinating that love is defined in worldly terms when the world is so unexcepting of true love. God's love is unfailing and yet people expect love to require actions. The world says in order for a guy to really love you they have to lust after you and demand physical stimulation. It's the same with girls today. If a guy just wants to have a relationship that is honoring and pleasing to God he can't even find a virtuous wife because most girls want to have a good time and move on to the next good looking guy. I was sitting in the break room at work today and a coworker got a text. I asked if it was her boyfriend and she said she didn't want to have a boyfriend, she just wanted to date. I was completely confused. People don't look at dating as a commitment anymore. People have no sense of commitment to love. Love has been lost! What is true love? What is unfailing love? How can someone know who God is if they don't even know what love is? God is love!

I've been through the dump with relationships seriously I've had just about ever stinker you can possibly imagine. I've been trashed for the trashy ones. I've been thrown out. I only stayed in the relationships as long as I did because I was looking for love. I wanted to know what "unfailing" love was. Unfortunately I never did. I am still in the process of learning what unfailing love really is. I know that every time I've been through the storms God has never left my side and even though I did stupid things He never let it hang over my head. God was the only one who showed me love. Thankfully now that I have become familiar with love I am able to see what true love really is. It has helped my relationships with my family, my friends, and my wonderful boyfriend (who loves me like Christ loved the church). In order to love you really do need to know what love is all about.

Matthew 5:43-48
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[a] and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

No comments: