Friday, December 17, 2010

Fear Not: Get Grace



Psalms 103:7-8
7 He made known his ways to Moses,
his deeds to the people of Israel:
8 The LORD is compassionate and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in love.

When I was younger I read the poem Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God. This poem was written by a puritan who clearly did not read this scripture. Many people will tell me that God is love and in God there is no fear because perfect love casts out all fear. Whereas others will tell me that God will pour out His wrath on the world like He did in the times of Sodom and Gomorrah. There are parts of the bible that tell me that the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Fearing God is a good thing... however, irrational fear is a bad thing. God "is" a God of compassion and grace. I don't deserve His grace but He gives it to me. I do not need to fear because God is in charge of my life. However, when I step outside of God's will I need to realize I allow bad things to happen. God's will protects me when I walk down the path God wants me to walk down I are safe. However, if I step off that path and I get scraped by a pricker bush I can't say it's God's wrath. It was my choice to step off the path. There are consequences for my actions. It is a good thing to fear God because He is the only one who offers me life or death. I chose to server God so that I can be free of fear and walk in His will daily. The only fear I have now is the fear that I will step outside of God's will in my life. Other fears are needless because God is Almighty and All Powerful and He has already conquered everything I can face in life. I do not need to fear the wrath of God because Jesus Christ shed His blood to spare me from that wrath. The agony that Christ went through kept me from experiencing it ourselves when I accept Him. However, if I did not believe I would have suffered a far greater wrath in the lake of fire. Yet because I believe in Christ, although at times I may suffer on earth I will always have the promise of a mansion over the hilltop in my Father's place.

John 1:16
Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

No comments: