Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Honor Starts in the Heart



Psalm 103:17-18 AMP
17But the mercy and loving-kindness of the Lord are from everlasting to everlasting upon those who reverently and worshipfully fear Him, and His righteousness is to children's children-- 18To such as keep His covenant [hearing, receiving, loving, and obeying it] and to those who [earnestly] remember His commandments to do them [imprinting them on their heart].

A while ago my parent's church was doing a series on honor. The pastor gave several examples of biblical characters who chose to honor God by obeying Him and having fear and reverence for Him. These characters were blessed in return for their obedience and honor. The bible reminds me to live like the saints but sometimes I get caught up in my flesh telling me that God will love me no matter what. One time (in my past that I repented of) I actually convinced myself that I was able to sin because God would forgive me. WOW did I feel awful after sinning. I thought my life would never be better and I knew I didn't deserve the mercy of God. I don't even know why I ever convinced myself to dishonor Him. I will never do that AGAIN!

When we deliberately step outside the will of God it does not honor Him and He will not bless us. If anything His will is to keep our path straight so we will be safe and healthy. His path keeps us out of danger. However if we don't know God's word we wont know His will and we wont be able to honor Him. That is why we are suppose to meditate on the word of God day and night and get to know God's will and plan for our lives.

I am sure you all have heard the scripture "obey your mother and father and your days will be long upon the earth"? I certainly do my parents wouldn't let me forget it growing up. I knew that if obeyed and honored my parents I would be blessed but if I dishonored them my rear end would be pretty sore. If God wishes for us to obey Him and we are His children than shouldn't we obey and fear Him just like we do our parents. Shouldn't we want to try our best to please Him? Not because we are afraid of getting a spanking but because we love to hear Him say "well done good and faithful servant". I know I want to honor and obey God. I am going to try to read my bible more so I can learn how to stay in His will.

If we set the example and obey and honor our heavenly Father our children and children's children will learn to be obedient an honor God also. Not only will they honor God but in doing so more than likely they will honor their us as well. We need to teach honor and obedience to our youth and the only way we can do that is to get them into the word of God and practice what we are teaching.

Psalm 119:105 (The Message)

By your words I can see where I'm going;
they throw a beam of light on my dark path.
I've committed myself and I'll never turn back
from living by your righteous order.
Everything's falling apart on me, God;
put me together again with your Word.
Festoon me with your finest sayings, God;
teach me your holy rules.
My life is as close as my own hands,
but I don't forget what you have revealed.
The wicked do their best to throw me off track,
but I don't swerve an inch from your course.
I inherited your book on living; it's mine forever—
what a gift! And how happy it makes me!
I concentrate on doing exactly what you say—
I always have and always will.

No comments: