Saturday, November 6, 2010

Annointing of Jesus: Alabaster Lady


Psalm 23:5-6
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever

I love how in Mark 14 the disciples (mainly Judas who betrayed Jesus) were all getting defensive about a woman wasting something so expensive on Jesus. It reminds of how Jesus poured His blood over our heads. Wouldn't we want to give "anything" we could to Him? To me an expensive bottle of perfume seems so little compared to the wonderful love that He showed us by dying for us. I love also how Jesus told the disciples to "leave her alone". She was doing what in her heart was a beautiful thing and Jesus knew that. She honored Jesus by preparing Him for His burial.

I wonder just how many times critics have scoffed at us while we are doing something to honor the Lord. Maybe they think that we are foolish. I wouldn't be surprised if they were "Christ followers" also. Many people do not realize God's calling in your life. Some people say you are foolish but in your heart you "know" that is what God desires. We need to start honoring Him and obeying Him no matter what others think. His opinion is the one that is priceless.

Mark 14:3-6
3 While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.

4 Some of those present were saying indignantly to one another, “Why this waste of perfume? 5 It could have been sold for more than a year’s wages[a] and the money given to the poor.” And they rebuked her harshly.

6 “Leave her alone,” said Jesus. “Why are you bothering her? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 7 The poor you will always have with you,[b] and you can help them any time you want. But you will not always have me. 8 She did what she could. She poured perfume on my body beforehand to prepare for my burial. 9 Truly I tell you, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”

No comments: