Sunday, November 7, 2010

Building Trust



Psalm 25 (In loving memory of Grandpa Smith)
1 In you, LORD my God,
I put my trust.

2 I trust in you;
do not let me be put to shame,
nor let my enemies triumph over me.

A big thing I needed to learn when I became a Christian was how to trust God. I was a Christian since I was 7 and I fell in love with God in AWANAS, but back then I was a child and it was "easy" to trust God. As I grew older and became more aware of how life could be not so easy trials and tribulations tested my trust. By 20 I was already through several relationships where men turned out to be "untrustworthy". I didn't have that "trust" in God because I looked at Him on "my level" and I thought well if every other guy turned out to be a jerk who just led me on and hurt me than why am I trusting God? However God showed me Himself in a new way.

I was always scared of the Pentecostal church because I didn't want to be slain in the Spirit and the praying in tongues scared me also. I never really understood what the Holy Spirit was it was something they didn't really talk much about in my baptist AWANAS. Maybe they thought children wouldn't grasp the concept. It was something I definitely lacked. My dad would always pray in tongues and it scared me because he would do it when he was frustrated or upset. My dad did his best to explain to me what the Holy Spirit was... but I never really got it until I experienced it myself. I put my fear aside and started to trust God.

I've done a lot of stupid things with my life. I've trusted people before that I should never have trusted... but that was before the Holy Spirit. That was before my parents prayed for me to receive the gift of discernment. Trusting people is more easy with the gift of discernment. It's also easier to trust God. I know how to determine who is my enemy now and I know what "exactly" to pray for them about. The rest I leave in God's hands. I find I get in fewer arguments with people when I don't try to be God. Releasing some of that control also allows me to trust God more and become more vulnerable before Him. However, I KNOW God wont let me down.

If you need help trusting in God in "any" area of your lives sisters, please contact me and I will pray with you. I love you! So does God! I'm praying the bondage off your wings right now so you can soar with Love and Peace that the Holy Spirit offers you.

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight

No comments: