Sunday, October 24, 2010

Anger is Not the Answer



Psalm 139:21-22
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O LORD,
and abhor those who rise up against you?

22 I have nothing but hatred for them;
I count them my enemies.

Anger is not a healthy thing. It destroys us more than it destroys the people that we are angry at. In the bible people's anger has always led to destruction and mostly of themselves. Moses was angry at the slave driver for the way he treated the Hebrew slave so he killed him. Then Moses had to deal with the blood on his hands for the rest of his life. Moses to this day will never gain full honor because he dishonored God's commandment "thou shalt not murder". When we get angry we are not allowing God to control us. We let our anger control us and that allows Satan to sneak in. Have you ever gotten angry and said something that you still to this day regret saying? I know I have. When I've gotten angry in the past I didn't let God control my words that came out of my mouth. Instead I let my emotions run away and hurt someone. I had to seek forgiveness from those people afterward and it wasn't easy. Proverbs is full of scriptures about how anger can affect us as well as others. Proverbs 14 says, “People with a hot temper do foolish things; wiser people remain calm.” “If you stay calm, you are wise, but if you have a hot temper, you only show how stupid you are.” (17,29). It's true when I start screaming at someone because I'm angry I really say stupid things, things that I don't even mean. I make myself look foolish and really the person I am hurting the most is myself. We need to think like God wants us to and let Him control our thoughts. Yes, people out there will get you angry... and most of them for good reasons. Just remember that justice is in the hands of God. In the right season you will reap your harvest and they will reap theirs. So pray for them and perhaps their bitter fruit will turn sweet.

Ephesians 4:31-32 - Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

No comments: