Saturday, October 9, 2010

Don't Be Ruthless ;)


On your own- read the book of Ruth

In chapter 1, we learn that Ruth is a Moabite and she married Naomi’s son… we learn that although Naomi pleads with her two daughter-in-laws to leave her and start a new life, Ruth remains with Naomi. We learn that Ruth’s dedication to Naomi is very strong and her love shows greatly through it.

16 But Ruth replied, "Don't urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God. 17 Where you die I will die, and there I will be buried. May the LORD deal with me, be it ever so severely, if anything but death separates you and me." 18 When Naomi realized that Ruth was determined to go with her, she stopped urging her.

In chapter 2, we are introduced to Boaz… after Ruth begs the foreman to let her work in the fields with Naomi’s permission. Boaz treats Ruth in a very kind way making sure that no harm comes to her and that she is well fed and nourished along with Naomi.

Meanwhile we begin to see something unfold.

13 "May I continue to find favor in your eyes, my lord," she said. "You have given me comfort and have spoken kindly to your servant—though I do not have the standing of one of your servant girls."

19 Her mother-in-law asked her, "Where did you glean today? Where did you work? Blessed be the man who took notice of you!"

20 "The LORD bless him!" Naomi said to her daughter-in-law. "He has not stopped showing his kindness to the living and the dead." She added, "That man is our close relative; he is one of our kinsman-redeemers."

Key notes: Reading on to the end of the book we learn that Ruth lies at Boaz’ feet but Boaz doesn’t judge her because he knows she has a pure heart. Instead Boaz favors her and blesses her with food and dismisses her before anyone finds out she spent the night at his feet.

We also are meant to love Jesus so much that we would throw ourselves at his feet until he has favored us and blessed us. He looks into our hearts and through His blood our hearts are pure. Jesus is our redeemer… just like Boaz was Ruth’s kinsmen redeemer. He will make sure we are provided for and looked after and protected. All it takes is trust, faith, and patience.

No comments: