Saturday, October 30, 2010

Esther: Stand Up Let Your Voice Be Heard!


Psalm 91:7-8
7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

Continuing on Psalm 91 our woman of the week is Esther. When I saw this scripture I thought of verse 8 where it said "punishment of the wicked". Let's recap Esther for those of you who aren't so familiar. Esther was a Hebrew named Haddassah, but her uncle gave her the Babylonian name Esther so that she would be selected by the king to be his wife. Her uncle knew that God had a great calling in her life. Esther was like you and me, she was probably afraid of being used so much by God because she was not used to it. She went from a child who was raised by a man to becoming a woman who was born to be a heroin. It's a great responsibility! I am sure she had her doubts.

Don't we all have doubts at times? I know God has a strong calling in my life to be a teacher. I know He has a calling in my life to help others. When I got up in front of this first grade classroom this semester for student teaching I freaked. I kept thinking maybe God doesn't want to use me like this I'm amongst the Babylonians and I'm all for God. I don't think I fit in what's going on here? Well, perhaps sometimes it's not about fitting in. Perhaps sometimes God takes us out of our comfort zone so that He can do something AMAZING with us.

So Esther gets chosen by the king to be his wife. Esther sees her people being slaughtered by one of the kings men and knows she has to do something but is afraid to make a move. So what does her uncle tell her?

"For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14)

For such a time as this? We are facing a world full of liberalism that is desensitized to sin. One by one we watch our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ slip away into the world getting caught up in the weeds. We need to take a stand and speak up. Reach out even if it means being fired or loosing a friend. We need to tell people the truth! We are children of God and we need to start a revival!

2 Corinthians 5:20
So we are Christ's ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, "Come back to God!"

No comments: